KIDS is a leading disabled children’s charity founded in 1970 that works to help disabled children, young people and their families to enjoy their lives.
This special organisation works with disabled children and young people from birth to the age of 25 to help with physical, sensory or mental impairment (including mental health). Social, attitudinal and environmental constraints can often hinder full and equal participation in society. With their founder John Mulcahy’s guiding principles in mind, KIDS offers practical and skilled support in conjunction with statutory services while ensuring that parents are treated as equal partners in the process.
Their vision is:
“A world in which all disabled children and young people realise their aspirations and their right to an inclusive community which supports them and their families”
Their continuing belief is that:
- Disabled children teach us that life is about who you can be and not just what you can do
- Being disabled in our society is one of the most demanding experiences anyone can face
- Parents of disabled children are experts on their own children
- Supporting the whole family is integral to supporting the disabled child
- All disabled children and young people have the right to fulfil their potential
- All disabled children, young people and their families have the right to be included
- Access is getting in – inclusion is wanting to stay